Current Service Updates
The Penryn and Falmouth Campus Libraries are open
The libraries will remain open during the national lockdown. Check our open hours.
We have relaxed the rules at Falmouth campus library. You no longer need to book if you wish to browse the books or collect your printing. You may also collect reserved items at any time we are open. You must still book a study space if you are going to sit at a desk or use a PC.
We have put measures in place to make the libraries covid-safe. Watch this presentation to see what to expect on your visit. There is also a brief video tour of your campus library on the Library Homepage
The library is also here for you online and you have access to excellent online library services, including extensive collections and 1:1 support. Library phone lines, live chat and emails are open for enquiries: Ways to keep in touch
Changes to open hours
The Penryn library open hours are changing from Friday 13 November. The new open hours will be:
08:00 - 23:00 seven days a week
This is because there has been very little use overnight this term. If you believe this will negatively impact on your studies please contact us. We will regularly monitor demand and can change opening hours based on student feedback.
- The study spaces in the library are open. You must book your study space or computer before you visit the library. Go to estateshelpdesk.fxplus.ac.uk or find out more on the Study Spaces page We have arranged the library so that you can study at 2m social distance from anyone else. This means that there are fewer spaces than before and you won’t be able to do groupwork in the library.
- Please check in at the estateshelpdesk when you arrive at your space or it will be released for others to book. Please use the cleaning materials provided to clean your desk before and after use and wear a face covering at all times.
Browsing the collection
- You may walk in and browse the shelves for books, journals, DVDs etc. You may also make a reservation on Library Search and collect from the hold shelf at any time.
Reservations and Recalls
- You can place requests as usual via Library Search. You may also be asked to return an item that is requested. If you are not able to do this for any reason, please get in touch with email@example.com
- Living in Cornwall? Please return items in the library using the self-service returns machine.
- Living in the South West? Use the regional return scheme (Monday 5th October - Friday 31st December 2020) - read the full details of how and where you can return items.
- If you are outside of the South West and not returning to Falmouth or Penryn campus, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Inter Library Loans
- We can now supply book chapters where a book is held digitally at another institution. Please fill in a Request Form for your institution for both journal articles and book chapters
- Borrowing print items via our inter library loan service is back, but due to restrictions these services are not yet fully back to normal and arrival times may take longer. We will do our best to obtain the items you ask for. Please fill in a Request Form
Loans from Streatham Campus
- Unfortunately, this service is suspended until further notice. Please use the Recommend a Book form to request items that you may have borrowed from Exeter
Archives & Special Collections
- The Special Collections area is only open for appointments. Archives & Reference Special Collections bookings are available via this online appointment system or emailing email@example.com.
- Loanable Special Collections can be requested via Library Search and made available for collection in either library
New students and research skills
- To find out more about using library resources please have a look at our online resources. Falmouth Students – Library Pathway and Exeter Students – Library Induction. As a student your subject librarian will also be popping up during your course to support you with research at key points – such as when you are writing your first assignment or when you start your dissertation. This year those sessions will be run online
Visitors, public and alumni
- During the Autumn term, access to the public will be restricted to current library members to collect books only. Please reserve these in advance and collect from the hold shelf. Due to space restrictions we will not be able to provide study spaces for the public, or permit group visits. This will be reviewed in December
- Lots of your resources are available online – check your resource/reading list to find a link to the online version, or have a look at the Falmouth University Library Search or University or Exeter Library Search
- If the resource you need is only available in print/physical version and you are unable to visit the library to collect it, then please get in touch with us and we will do our best to support you
Please note that all library services are subject to change in the event of local or government restrictions. We will keep this page up to date with our current service
A reminder about online services
For selected online resources specific to your course visit the Subject Guides Page
For an online 1:1 appointment with your Academic Liaison Librarian use the Book A Librarian service
For eBook orders please place requests using the Recommend a Book service
For ordering digital articles (Inter-Library Loans) please fill in an Inter-Library Loan Form
Library phone lines and emails are open for enquiries: Ways to keep in touch