Academic Liaison Librarians
Every Department is allocated an Academic Liaison Librarian. Their job is to help you locate the best resources for your research, advise you about referencing styles, copyright and how to stay current in your field of research.
Use our Librarians By Subject list to find out who your Academic Liaison Librarian is.
Falmouth University Research Repository (FURR)
FURR is Falmouth University’s Research Repository which stores, shares and preserves the research outputs of staff and PhD research students, ensuring maximum impact through Open Access. As well as satisfying the Open Access requirements of many UK funding bodies including Research Councils UK, depositing in FURR is also required for Falmouth University’s submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Research outputs can include journal articles, book chapters and conference papers, as well as practice-based research including design and art exhibited in galleries.
Follow the link to FURR for more information about Open Access, as well as policies and guides on how to deposit.
Research skills - books & DVDs
We have a selection of books that cover a range of topics from how to conduct a literature review to how to survive your PhD viva. These include titles such as:
- Burton, S. / Surviving your thesis
- Cryer, P. / The research student's guide to success
We also have a collection of DVDs which cover topics such as how to get the best of your PhD supervision, and how to give good presentations. These are also available via out streaming service, so you can click the links below and view them from your own laptops or PCs.
- The Good Viva Video
- The Good Presentation Video
- The Good Doctorate Video
- The Good Upgrade Video:... a wake up call
- The PhD Survival Video: PhDs, stress & mental health
You may also be interested to explore books on Practice as Research.
Use the library catalogue to find these and more.
Apart from the wide range of subject specific databases that are provided for you, those of particular interest to researchers include
- Proquest Dissertation and Theses : Exeter or Falmouth
- Economic & Social Data Service (ESDS): for access to datasets : Exeter or Falmouth
- InCites: a free resource from ISI Web of Knowledge to help you identify the key researchers. Covers science, social science & engineering.
- InCites Journal Citation Reports (via Web of Knowledge): to help identify those journals with the highest research impact : Exeter
- Scopus: provides citation analysis of journals, and is strongest in the sciences and social sciences : Exeter
As well providing journals to support your subject interests, we also subscribe to
where you can find out about jobs and the latest news in H.E.
Special Collections and Archives
Archives and Special collections are available at Penryn and Falmouth Library. Further Information
Special Collections at the University of Exeter include the University's Archives and Rare Books, Bill Douglas Centre Museum, Fine Art Collection, Records Management Service and affiliation to the Devon & Exeter Institution.Further Information
If the material that you want isn't available here or at the Exeter main campus libraries, we can obtain it for you via our inter-library loan service.